discuss@list.foss4g.asia

This is a discuss list for FOSS4G-Asia Conference

View all threads

Re: [Foss4ga.discuss] About FOSS4G Session at Nepal Geological Congress

VR
Venkatesh Raghavan
Sun, Mar 1, 2015 3:52 AM

Hi Rajan and All,

Please plan a FOSS4G-Asia 2016 with special session
for SAARC. Great to hear about training program at ECIL
organized by IIITH.

Regarding the NGC session, maybe

  1. Introduction to FOSS4G technology and Geo4All initiative
  2. FOSS4G-India Activity Report
  3. FOSS4G-Sri Lanka Acticity Report
  4. FOSS4G at AIT
  5. Municipal GIS initiatives in India
  6. ???

with 30 minutes for each presenter could be a good idea.
We could also distribute the OSGeo-Live DVD [1] to participants.

It would great if  the special session at NGC helps to get FOSS4G
activities in Nepal kickstarted.

The mailing list created for FOSS4G-Asia is still usable and
maybe some others have suggestions too. I forward this mail
to the list too.

Best

Venka

On 2015/03/01 0:09, K S Rajan wrote:

Dear Venka,

Well, at the outset, I support the idea that we should organize a
FOSS4G session at NGC. And well, interestingly in the last
OSGeo-India's Executive council meeting there was a proposal to plan
for a SAARC FOSS4G event given the interest of the current Govt. of
India.

First, I think we need to identify who all can Volunteer to
participate and present in such a session? And I request Dr. Pathak
to let us know what does he expect from such a session - is it for
Introducing FOSS4G tools and OSGeo? or FOSS4G and Education (the
potential for using these tools in Universities and colleges) or
Examples of its applications? or an eclectic mix of these.

Btw, I am happy to share that we (IIIT Hyd and OSGeo-India) are now
in the midst of a 6-day training programme in Open Source Geospatial
Technology Development for ECIL Hyderabad (a premier Public Sector
Corporation) using QGIS and Qt software development platform.

regards, Rajan

Ph.D.

Head, Lab for Spatial Informatics, Associate Professor, International
Institute of Information Technology Gachibowli, Hyderabad 500032,
Andhra Pradesh, India Tel: (+91-40)6653 1276 Fax: (+91-40)6653 1413
E-mail: rajan@iiit.ac.in GeoLocation: 17.4454 N, 78.3503 E