discuss@list.foss4g.asia

This is a discuss list for FOSS4G-Asia Conference

View all threads

[Foss4ga.discuss] Questions to FOSS4G-Asia 2018/2019 bidding teams

VR
Venkatesh Raghavan
Fri, Aug 4, 2017 11:55 PM

Dear Rangajeewa-san, Iwasaki-san and Sanghee-san,

Thanks for submitting your bids for FOSS4G-Asia 2018/2019

I send you the list of questions that the selection committee
requests to be answered. The teams to which the questions
are addressed is shown at the end of each question.
Please go through the questions and answer in
as much detail as possible. There are 16 questions in
total.

Please send me (venka.osgeo@gmail.com) a PDF containing questions and
answers before 11 August, 2017 midnight (UTC).

https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?year=2017&month=8&day=11&hour=23&min=59&sec=0%252016.00UTC

I request you to kindly adhere to the above deadline for submitting
your answers.

  1. About how much is the expected cost for the venue (rental cost,
    eventually additional expenses like insurance, security, etc.)?
    (-> Japan, Korea, Sri Lanka)

  2. Very often the number of local attendants is a lot higher than
    international visitors.
    How many attendants from your country do you expect (worst case and
    optimistic estimation)?
    (-> Japan, Korea, Sri Lanka)

  3. How much would be the maximum number of attendants you could manage?
    Is there a minimum number of attendants, when the event would cause
    financial problems?
    (-> Japan, Korea, Sri Lanka)

  4. Do you have a rough proposal for conference admission (ie. ticket
    types and costs, handling of free tickets, cost for gala dinner,
    etc.)?
    If costs are unknown yet (which is probably the case), what costs do
    you aim for.
    (-> Japan, Korea, Sri Lanka)

  5. Do you see difficulties with receiving Visa documents for foreign
    visitors?
    (-> Japan, Korea, Sri Lanka)

  6. Does your venue and workshop facilities provide good access to
    internet, especially for foreigners, that cannot use mobile internet?
    (-> Japan, Korea, Sri Lanka)

  7. Your proposal has 2 "core" days for presentations. FOSS4G Europe for
    example usually has 3 presentation days.
    For an international conference, where international visitors usually
    spend significant time traveling, a longer event with a larger
    presentation program may be more attractive. It will also allow to
    accept more talk submissions and thus more participation.
    Have you considered an additional day for presentations? Would it be
    possible?
    (-> Japan, Korea, Sri Lanka)

  8. How many delegates from your local community
    participated in the last FOSS4G-Asia 2017 event
    (-> Japan, Korea, Sri Lanka)

  9. Have you already contacted some local chapters
    in Asia to garner their support for the event
    (-> Japan, Korea, Sri Lanka)

  10. Are you planning a special price for students and
    participants for low-income countries?
    (-> Japan, Korea, Sri Lanka)

  11. In your proposal the main conference days are only weekdays.
    Do you think this will affect participation of local community
    members, that cannot get their employer's permission to attend
    the conference.
    (-> Korea, Japan)

  12. Your conference dates are just two days on a weekend (Sat./Sun.).
    Are the university facilities only available on the weekend?
    Do you plan to organize another day with workshops?
    Weekend events can have an influence on participants sent by their
    employer. Do you see an issue with local business visitors to
    attend a weekend event?
    (-> Sri Lanka)

  13. The main conference is proposed to be held on a weekend
    (Sat = 8th Dec/Sun = 9th Dec) with the social event on a Monday.
    What is the rational for having the conference over the weekend?
    Availability of conference room?
    (-> Sri Lanka)

  14. Obviously one big concern with your bid (compared to the Korean or
    Japanese bid) is the quality of the available facilities for this
    event. You will have to convince us that the quality of your
    facilities is sufficient to host this event successfully. What is
    the current availability and speed of WiFi at the proposed
    location? Are there sufficient power outlets for attendees to use
    their laptops (-> improptu hackfest). How frequent are electric
    black-outs. What is the quality of the conference rooms. Could you
    include a few pictures of the rooms we would likely be in? How
    about the air conditioning in the rooms. It is my understanding
    that temperature around 30 degrees or sometimes even higher can be
    expected.
    (-> Sri Lanka)

  15. Why is your document named: "(Seoul)FOSS4G_Asia_2019_Proposal.pdf"?
    Putting brackets into a file name is bad practice and makes me
    wonder whether that means we can also expect other poor choices
    during the conference (tiny names on badges, errors in the printed
    conference program, lack of power outlets, complicated WiFi
    registration process).
    (-> Korea)

  16. Why is your document named: "FOSS4G_ASIA2017_LoI_Tsukuba.pdf"?
    Why 2017? You propose to host a conference in 2018. This miss-naming
    of the "Letter of Intent" makes me wonder whether that means we can
    also expect other poor choices during the conference (tiny names on
    badges, errors in the printed conference program, lack of power
    outlets, complicated WiFi registration process).
    (-> Japan)

Best

Venka

Dear Rangajeewa-san, Iwasaki-san and Sanghee-san, Thanks for submitting your bids for FOSS4G-Asia 2018/2019 I send you the list of questions that the selection committee requests to be answered. The teams to which the questions are addressed is shown at the end of each question. Please go through the questions and answer in as much detail as possible. There are 16 questions in total. Please send me (venka.osgeo@gmail.com) a PDF containing questions and answers before 11 August, 2017 midnight (UTC). https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?year=2017&month=8&day=11&hour=23&min=59&sec=0%252016.00UTC I request you to kindly adhere to the above deadline for submitting your answers. 1. About how much is the expected cost for the venue (rental cost, eventually additional expenses like insurance, security, etc.)? *(-> Japan, Korea, Sri Lanka)* 2. Very often the number of local attendants is a lot higher than international visitors. How many attendants from your country do you expect (worst case and optimistic estimation)? *(-> Japan, Korea, Sri Lanka)* 3. How much would be the maximum number of attendants you could manage? Is there a minimum number of attendants, when the event would cause financial problems? *(-> Japan, Korea, Sri Lanka)* 4. Do you have a rough proposal for conference admission (ie. ticket types and costs, handling of free tickets, cost for gala dinner, etc.)? If costs are unknown yet (which is probably the case), what costs do you aim for. *(-> Japan, Korea, Sri Lanka)* 5. Do you see difficulties with receiving Visa documents for foreign visitors? *(-> Japan, Korea, Sri Lanka)* 6. Does your venue and workshop facilities provide good access to internet, especially for foreigners, that cannot use mobile internet? *(-> Japan, Korea, Sri Lanka)* 7. Your proposal has 2 "core" days for presentations. FOSS4G Europe for example usually has 3 presentation days. For an international conference, where international visitors usually spend significant time traveling, a longer event with a larger presentation program may be more attractive. It will also allow to accept more talk submissions and thus more participation. Have you considered an additional day for presentations? Would it be possible? *(-> Japan, Korea, Sri Lanka)* 8. How many delegates from your local community participated in the last FOSS4G-Asia 2017 event *(-> Japan, Korea, Sri Lanka)* 9. Have you already contacted some local chapters in Asia to garner their support for the event *(-> Japan, Korea, Sri Lanka)* 10. Are you planning a special price for students and participants for low-income countries? *(-> Japan, Korea, Sri Lanka)* 11. In your proposal the main conference days are only weekdays. Do you think this will affect participation of local community members, that cannot get their employer's permission to attend the conference. *(-> Korea, Japan)* 12. Your conference dates are just two days on a weekend (Sat./Sun.). Are the university facilities only available on the weekend? Do you plan to organize another day with workshops? Weekend events can have an influence on participants sent by their employer. Do you see an issue with local business visitors to attend a weekend event? *(-> Sri Lanka)* 13. The main conference is proposed to be held on a weekend (Sat = 8th Dec/Sun = 9th Dec) with the social event on a Monday. What is the rational for having the conference over the weekend? Availability of conference room? *(-> Sri Lanka)* 14. Obviously one big concern with your bid (compared to the Korean or Japanese bid) is the quality of the available facilities for this event. You will have to convince us that the quality of your facilities is sufficient to host this event successfully. What is the current availability and speed of WiFi at the proposed location? Are there sufficient power outlets for attendees to use their laptops (-> improptu hackfest). How frequent are electric black-outs. What is the quality of the conference rooms. Could you include a few pictures of the rooms we would likely be in? How about the air conditioning in the rooms. It is my understanding that temperature around 30 degrees or sometimes even higher can be expected. *(-> Sri Lanka)* 15. Why is your document named: "(Seoul)FOSS4G_Asia_2019_Proposal.pdf"? Putting brackets into a file name is bad practice and makes me wonder whether that means we can also expect other poor choices during the conference (tiny names on badges, errors in the printed conference program, lack of power outlets, complicated WiFi registration process). *(-> Korea)* 16. Why is your document named: "FOSS4G_ASIA2017_LoI_Tsukuba.pdf"? Why 2017? You propose to host a conference in 2018. This miss-naming of the "Letter of Intent" makes me wonder whether that means we can also expect other poor choices during the conference (tiny names on badges, errors in the printed conference program, lack of power outlets, complicated WiFi registration process). *(-> Japan)* Best Venka
DK
Daniel Kastl
Sat, Aug 5, 2017 9:13 AM
  1. Why is your document named: "(Seoul)FOSS4G_Asia_2019_Proposal.pdf"?
    Putting brackets into a file name is bad practice and makes me
    wonder whether that means we can also expect other poor choices
    during the conference (tiny names on badges, errors in the printed
    conference program, lack of power outlets, complicated WiFi
    registration process).
    (-> Korea)

  2. Why is your document named: "FOSS4G_ASIA2017_LoI_Tsukuba.pdf"?
    Why 2017? You propose to host a conference in 2018. This miss-naming
    of the "Letter of Intent" makes me wonder whether that means we can
    also expect other poor choices during the conference (tiny names on
    badges, errors in the printed conference program, lack of power
    outlets, complicated WiFi registration process).
    (-> Japan)

Seriously?
Are the last 2 questions (15) and (16) a joke?

Sorry, I couldn't hold back to comment on this, because I really doubt the
qualification of a person asking such a qustion to be part of a jury.
I feel, asking such a question and the tone is rather offensive and doesn't
value the effort proposing communities put into their applications.
Please don't waste everyones time with reading and answering such a useless
question.
What kind of answer do you expect? An apology?

I have received lots of documents with proprietary formats,  that I
couldn't read, with typos and poor formatting.
But I have never received such a rubbish question from a selecting
committee member.

Sorry for the harsh words.

Best regards,
Daniel

--
Georepublic UG & Georepublic Japan
eMail: daniel.kastl@georepublic.de

> > > 15. Why is your document named: "(Seoul)FOSS4G_Asia_2019_Proposal.pdf"? > Putting brackets into a file name is bad practice and makes me > wonder whether that means we can also expect other poor choices > during the conference (tiny names on badges, errors in the printed > conference program, lack of power outlets, complicated WiFi > registration process). > *(-> Korea)* > > 16. Why is your document named: "FOSS4G_ASIA2017_LoI_Tsukuba.pdf"? > Why 2017? You propose to host a conference in 2018. This miss-naming > of the "Letter of Intent" makes me wonder whether that means we can > also expect other poor choices during the conference (tiny names on > badges, errors in the printed conference program, lack of power > outlets, complicated WiFi registration process). > *(-> Japan)* > > Seriously? Are the last 2 questions (15) and (16) a joke? Sorry, I couldn't hold back to comment on this, because I really doubt the qualification of a person asking such a qustion to be part of a jury. I feel, asking such a question and the tone is rather offensive and doesn't value the effort proposing communities put into their applications. Please don't waste everyones time with reading and answering such a useless question. What kind of answer do you expect? An apology? I have received lots of documents with proprietary formats, that I couldn't read, with typos and poor formatting. But I have never received such a rubbish question from a selecting committee member. Sorry for the harsh words. Best regards, Daniel -- Georepublic UG & Georepublic Japan eMail: daniel.kastl@georepublic.de Web: https://georepublic.info
SS
Shin, Sanghee
Sat, Aug 5, 2017 9:38 AM

Hi all,

I totally agree with Daniel’s view on those 2 questions. I read the questions again and again to check whether there’s any missing phrases. And for a short time I considered to withdraw the proposal, since I thought it’s useless to host the event with such unfriendly and unwelcoming circumstances.

Anyway my answer to Q15 is like this:

“Putting brackets into a file name is widely accepted and used practice in Korea and should be respected as such. And there’s no concrete and enough evidence that those practice can lead to conference disaster.”

I, on behalf of Seoul team, will not answer to Q15 in my official document.

Regards,
신상희

Shin, Sanghee
Gaia3D, Inc. - The GeoSpatial Company
http://www.gaia3d.com

보낸 사람: Daniel Kastl
보낸 날짜: 2017년 8월 5일 토요일 오후 6:13
받는 사람: Venkatesh Raghavan
참조: Rangajeewa Ratnayake; Nobusuke IWASAKI; 신상희; foss4ga.discuss@gisws.media.osaka-cu.ac.jp
제목: Re: [Foss4ga.discuss] Questions to FOSS4G-Asia 2018/2019 biddingteams

[...]

Hi all, I totally agree with Daniel’s view on those 2 questions. I read the questions again and again to check whether there’s any missing phrases. And for a short time I considered to withdraw the proposal, since I thought it’s useless to host the event with such unfriendly and unwelcoming circumstances. Anyway my answer to Q15 is like this: “Putting brackets into a file name is widely accepted and used practice in Korea and should be respected as such. And there’s no concrete and enough evidence that those practice can lead to conference disaster.” I, on behalf of Seoul team, will not answer to Q15 in my official document. Regards, 신상희 --- Shin, Sanghee Gaia3D, Inc. - The GeoSpatial Company http://www.gaia3d.com 보낸 사람: Daniel Kastl 보낸 날짜: 2017년 8월 5일 토요일 오후 6:13 받는 사람: Venkatesh Raghavan 참조: Rangajeewa Ratnayake; Nobusuke IWASAKI; 신상희; foss4ga.discuss@gisws.media.osaka-cu.ac.jp 제목: Re: [Foss4ga.discuss] Questions to FOSS4G-Asia 2018/2019 biddingteams 15. Why is your document named: "(Seoul)FOSS4G_Asia_2019_Proposal.pdf"?     Putting brackets into a file name is bad practice and makes me     wonder whether that means we can also expect other poor choices     during the conference (tiny names on badges, errors in the printed     conference program, lack of power outlets, complicated WiFi     registration process).     *(-> Korea)* 16. Why is your document named: "FOSS4G_ASIA2017_LoI_Tsukuba.pdf"?    Why 2017? You propose to host a conference in 2018. This miss-naming    of the "Letter of Intent" makes me wonder whether that means we can    also expect other poor choices during the conference (tiny names on    badges, errors in the printed conference program, lack of power    outlets, complicated WiFi registration process).    *(-> Japan)* Seriously? Are the last 2 questions (15) and (16) a joke? Sorry, I couldn't hold back to comment on this, because I really doubt the qualification of a person asking such a qustion to be part of a jury. I feel, asking such a question and the tone is rather offensive and doesn't value the effort proposing communities put into their applications. Please don't waste everyones time with reading and answering such a useless question.  What kind of answer do you expect? An apology? I have received lots of documents with proprietary formats,  that I couldn't read, with typos and poor formatting.  But I have never received such a rubbish question from a selecting committee member.  Sorry for the harsh words. Best regards, Daniel -- Georepublic UG & Georepublic Japan eMail: daniel.kastl@georepublic.de Web: https://georepublic.info
PD
Phillip Davis
Sat, Aug 5, 2017 11:09 AM

Now now children...this is a benevolent society we are all members of..so please respect one another before we break for recess.

Get Outlook for Androidhttps://aka.ms/ghei36

I totally agree with Daniel’s view on those 2 questions. I read the questions again and again to check whether there’s any missing phrases. And for a short time I considered to withdraw the proposal, since I thought it’s useless to host the event with such unfriendly and unwelcoming circumstances.

Anyway my answer to Q15 is like this:

“Putting brackets into a file name is widely accepted and used practice in Korea and should be respected as such. And there’s no concrete and enough evidence that those practice can lead to conference disaster.”

I, on behalf of Seoul team, will not answer to Q15 in my official document.

Regards,
신상희

Shin, Sanghee
Gaia3D, Inc. - The GeoSpatial Company
http://www.gaia3d.com

보낸 사람: Daniel Kastlmailto:daniel@georepublic.de
보낸 날짜: 2017년 8월 5일 토요일 오후 6:13
받는 사람: Venkatesh Raghavanmailto:venka.osgeo@gmail.com
참조: Rangajeewa Ratnayakemailto:rangajeewar@gmail.com; Nobusuke IWASAKImailto:niwasaki@affrc.go.jp; 신상희mailto:shshin@gaia3d.com; foss4ga.discuss@gisws.media.osaka-cu.ac.jpmailto:foss4ga.discuss@gisws.media.osaka-cu.ac.jp
[...]

eMail: daniel.kastl@georepublic.demailto:daniel.kastl@georepublic.de
Web: https://georepublic.info

Now now children...this is a benevolent society we are all members of..so please respect one another before we break for recess. Get Outlook for Android<https://aka.ms/ghei36> ________________________________ From: Foss4ga.discuss <foss4ga.discuss-bounces@gisws.media.osaka-cu.ac.jp> on behalf of Shin, Sanghee <shshin@gaia3d.com> Sent: Saturday, August 5, 2017 4:38:56 AM To: Daniel Kastl; Venkatesh Raghavan Cc: foss4ga.discuss@gisws.media.osaka-cu.ac.jp Subject: Re: [Foss4ga.discuss] Questions to FOSS4G-Asia 2018/2019 biddingteams Hi all, I totally agree with Daniel’s view on those 2 questions. I read the questions again and again to check whether there’s any missing phrases. And for a short time I considered to withdraw the proposal, since I thought it’s useless to host the event with such unfriendly and unwelcoming circumstances. Anyway my answer to Q15 is like this: “Putting brackets into a file name is widely accepted and used practice in Korea and should be respected as such. And there’s no concrete and enough evidence that those practice can lead to conference disaster.” I, on behalf of Seoul team, will not answer to Q15 in my official document. Regards, 신상희 --- Shin, Sanghee Gaia3D, Inc. - The GeoSpatial Company http://www.gaia3d.com 보낸 사람: Daniel Kastl<mailto:daniel@georepublic.de> 보낸 날짜: 2017년 8월 5일 토요일 오후 6:13 받는 사람: Venkatesh Raghavan<mailto:venka.osgeo@gmail.com> 참조: Rangajeewa Ratnayake<mailto:rangajeewar@gmail.com>; Nobusuke IWASAKI<mailto:niwasaki@affrc.go.jp>; 신상희<mailto:shshin@gaia3d.com>; foss4ga.discuss@gisws.media.osaka-cu.ac.jp<mailto:foss4ga.discuss@gisws.media.osaka-cu.ac.jp> 제목: Re: [Foss4ga.discuss] Questions to FOSS4G-Asia 2018/2019 biddingteams 15. Why is your document named: "(Seoul)FOSS4G_Asia_2019_Proposal.pdf"? Putting brackets into a file name is bad practice and makes me wonder whether that means we can also expect other poor choices during the conference (tiny names on badges, errors in the printed conference program, lack of power outlets, complicated WiFi registration process). *(-> Korea)* 16. Why is your document named: "FOSS4G_ASIA2017_LoI_Tsukuba.pdf"? Why 2017? You propose to host a conference in 2018. This miss-naming of the "Letter of Intent" makes me wonder whether that means we can also expect other poor choices during the conference (tiny names on badges, errors in the printed conference program, lack of power outlets, complicated WiFi registration process). *(-> Japan)* Seriously? Are the last 2 questions (15) and (16) a joke? Sorry, I couldn't hold back to comment on this, because I really doubt the qualification of a person asking such a qustion to be part of a jury. I feel, asking such a question and the tone is rather offensive and doesn't value the effort proposing communities put into their applications. Please don't waste everyones time with reading and answering such a useless question. What kind of answer do you expect? An apology? I have received lots of documents with proprietary formats, that I couldn't read, with typos and poor formatting. But I have never received such a rubbish question from a selecting committee member. Sorry for the harsh words. Best regards, Daniel -- Georepublic UG & Georepublic Japan eMail: daniel.kastl@georepublic.de<mailto:daniel.kastl@georepublic.de> Web: https://georepublic.info
JM
Jeff McKenna
Sat, Aug 5, 2017 12:06 PM

On 2017-08-05 6:13 AM, Daniel Kastl wrote:

 15. Why is your document named: "(Seoul)FOSS4G_Asia_2019_Proposal.pdf"?
      Putting brackets into a file name is bad practice and makes me
      wonder whether that means we can also expect other poor choices
      during the conference (tiny names on badges, errors in the printed
      conference program, lack of power outlets, complicated WiFi
      registration process).
      *(-> Korea)*

 16. Why is your document named: "FOSS4G_ASIA2017_LoI_Tsukuba.pdf"?
     Why 2017? You propose to host a conference in 2018. This miss-naming
     of the "Letter of Intent" makes me wonder whether that means we can
     also expect other poor choices during the conference (tiny names on
     badges, errors in the printed conference program, lack of power
     outlets, complicated WiFi registration process).
     *(-> Japan)*

I've been renaming proposals for FOSS4G-global for 10 years (removing
spaces, special characters, etc) and then uploading them to the OSGeo
site where the committee can then download them, and I place the blame
on myself for FOSS4G-Asia here for not renaming them all to the same
structure before uploading Sri Lanka, Korea, Japan to the 2018/2019 wiki
page.  Although file naming is also a big thing with me (think layer
names in OGC web services, breaking clients downstream) most don't pay
attention unfortunately, and most of the MOST successful FOSS4G-global
events were in fact hosted by local committees who submitted proposals
with spaces, special characters in filenames, bad formatting that I
fixed, etc, so we should not hold this against any local committee (who
are often rushed to meet the proposal deadline).

-jeff

On 2017-08-05 6:13 AM, Daniel Kastl wrote: > > 15. Why is your document named: "(Seoul)FOSS4G_Asia_2019_Proposal.pdf"? > Putting brackets into a file name is bad practice and makes me > wonder whether that means we can also expect other poor choices > during the conference (tiny names on badges, errors in the printed > conference program, lack of power outlets, complicated WiFi > registration process). > *(-> Korea)* > > 16. Why is your document named: "FOSS4G_ASIA2017_LoI_Tsukuba.pdf"? > Why 2017? You propose to host a conference in 2018. This miss-naming > of the "Letter of Intent" makes me wonder whether that means we can > also expect other poor choices during the conference (tiny names on > badges, errors in the printed conference program, lack of power > outlets, complicated WiFi registration process). > *(-> Japan)* > I've been renaming proposals for FOSS4G-global for 10 years (removing spaces, special characters, etc) and then uploading them to the OSGeo site where the committee can then download them, and I place the blame on myself for FOSS4G-Asia here for not renaming them all to the same structure before uploading Sri Lanka, Korea, Japan to the 2018/2019 wiki page. Although file naming is also a big thing with me (think layer names in OGC web services, breaking clients downstream) most don't pay attention unfortunately, and most of the MOST successful FOSS4G-global events were in fact hosted by local committees who submitted proposals with spaces, special characters in filenames, bad formatting that I fixed, etc, so we should not hold this against any local committee (who are often rushed to meet the proposal deadline). -jeff
VR
Venkatesh Raghavan
Thu, Aug 10, 2017 2:03 PM

Dear Rangajeewa-san, Iwasaki-san and Sanghee-san,

Gentle remainder about submitting answers to me (venka.osgeo@gmail.com)
as PDF containing questions and answers before 11 August, 2017 midnight
(UTC).

https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?year=2017&month=8&day=11&hour=23&min=59&sec=0%252016.00UTC

I request you to kindly adhere to the above deadline for submitting
your answers. If you have already submitted the answers, please ignore
this e-mail.

I thank you all for you effort and look forward to a great FOSS4G-Asia
conference in 2018/2019.

Best

Venka

Dear Rangajeewa-san, Iwasaki-san and Sanghee-san, Gentle remainder about submitting answers to me (venka.osgeo@gmail.com) as PDF containing questions and answers before 11 August, 2017 midnight (UTC). https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?year=2017&month=8&day=11&hour=23&min=59&sec=0%252016.00UTC I request you to kindly adhere to the above deadline for submitting your answers. If you have already submitted the answers, please ignore this e-mail. I thank you all for you effort and look forward to a great FOSS4G-Asia conference in 2018/2019. Best Venka On 8/5/2017 8:55 AM, Venkatesh Raghavan wrote: > Dear Rangajeewa-san, Iwasaki-san and Sanghee-san, > > Thanks for submitting your bids for FOSS4G-Asia 2018/2019 > > I send you the list of questions that the selection committee > requests to be answered. The teams to which the questions > are addressed is shown at the end of each question. > Please go through the questions and answer in > as much detail as possible. There are 16 questions in > total. > > Please send me (venka.osgeo@gmail.com) a PDF containing questions and > answers before 11 August, 2017 midnight (UTC). > > https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?year=2017&month=8&day=11&hour=23&min=59&sec=0%252016.00UTC > > > I request you to kindly adhere to the above deadline for submitting > your answers. > > > 1. About how much is the expected cost for the venue (rental cost, > eventually additional expenses like insurance, security, etc.)? > *(-> Japan, Korea, Sri Lanka)* > > 2. Very often the number of local attendants is a lot higher than > international visitors. > How many attendants from your country do you expect (worst case and > optimistic estimation)? > *(-> Japan, Korea, Sri Lanka)* > > 3. How much would be the maximum number of attendants you could manage? > Is there a minimum number of attendants, when the event would cause > financial problems? > *(-> Japan, Korea, Sri Lanka)* > > 4. Do you have a rough proposal for conference admission (ie. ticket > types and costs, handling of free tickets, cost for gala dinner, > etc.)? > If costs are unknown yet (which is probably the case), what costs do > you aim for. > *(-> Japan, Korea, Sri Lanka)* > > 5. Do you see difficulties with receiving Visa documents for foreign > visitors? > *(-> Japan, Korea, Sri Lanka)* > > 6. Does your venue and workshop facilities provide good access to > internet, especially for foreigners, that cannot use mobile internet? > *(-> Japan, Korea, Sri Lanka)* > > 7. Your proposal has 2 "core" days for presentations. FOSS4G Europe for > example usually has 3 presentation days. > For an international conference, where international visitors usually > spend significant time traveling, a longer event with a larger > presentation program may be more attractive. It will also allow to > accept more talk submissions and thus more participation. > Have you considered an additional day for presentations? Would it be > possible? > *(-> Japan, Korea, Sri Lanka)* > > 8. How many delegates from your local community > participated in the last FOSS4G-Asia 2017 event > *(-> Japan, Korea, Sri Lanka)* > > 9. Have you already contacted some local chapters > in Asia to garner their support for the event > *(-> Japan, Korea, Sri Lanka)* > > 10. Are you planning a special price for students and > participants for low-income countries? > *(-> Japan, Korea, Sri Lanka)* > > 11. In your proposal the main conference days are only weekdays. > Do you think this will affect participation of local community > members, that cannot get their employer's permission to attend > the conference. > *(-> Korea, Japan)* > > > 12. Your conference dates are just two days on a weekend (Sat./Sun.). > Are the university facilities only available on the weekend? > Do you plan to organize another day with workshops? > Weekend events can have an influence on participants sent by their > employer. Do you see an issue with local business visitors to > attend a weekend event? > *(-> Sri Lanka)* > > 13. The main conference is proposed to be held on a weekend > (Sat = 8th Dec/Sun = 9th Dec) with the social event on a Monday. > What is the rational for having the conference over the weekend? > Availability of conference room? > *(-> Sri Lanka)* > > 14. Obviously one big concern with your bid (compared to the Korean or > Japanese bid) is the quality of the available facilities for this > event. You will have to convince us that the quality of your > facilities is sufficient to host this event successfully. What is > the current availability and speed of WiFi at the proposed > location? Are there sufficient power outlets for attendees to use > their laptops (-> improptu hackfest). How frequent are electric > black-outs. What is the quality of the conference rooms. Could you > include a few pictures of the rooms we would likely be in? How > about the air conditioning in the rooms. It is my understanding > that temperature around 30 degrees or sometimes even higher can be > expected. > *(-> Sri Lanka)* > > 15. Why is your document named: "(Seoul)FOSS4G_Asia_2019_Proposal.pdf"? > Putting brackets into a file name is bad practice and makes me > wonder whether that means we can also expect other poor choices > during the conference (tiny names on badges, errors in the printed > conference program, lack of power outlets, complicated WiFi > registration process). > *(-> Korea)* > > 16. Why is your document named: "FOSS4G_ASIA2017_LoI_Tsukuba.pdf"? > Why 2017? You propose to host a conference in 2018. This miss-naming > of the "Letter of Intent" makes me wonder whether that means we can > also expect other poor choices during the conference (tiny names on > badges, errors in the printed conference program, lack of power > outlets, complicated WiFi registration process). > *(-> Japan)* > > > Best > > Venka >